Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Carved in Stone

The most wonderful things often happen quite by chance.  Today, under just those circumstances, I had the honor of meeting a master craftsman, Mr. Toru Oba.

A friend and I were going to look at some materials that were advertised on Craiglist.  We had arranged to meet in front of the old local soapstone company...he "knew a guy" there.  The two were chatting when I arrived, introductions were made, and then...we were invited in to have a look at his latest projects.

I was, quite simply, in awe.  In fact, I didn't even have to the good sense to ask if I could take a photo or two.  The images below are from his website:

http://www.toruoba.com/toruoba.htm

Please take a moment to visit his site, read his biography, and be amazed by the beautiful art he creates.

A granite boulder reveals a quiet pool for birds to bathe.




From plain slabs of rock, he brings forth flowing forms...structures that look as if water has been carving holes and curves for hundreds of years.



From rough stone emerges a mirrored surface, smooth as glass.



What an honor and a pleasure.  Someday...when my ship comes in...I want a Toru Oba sculpture in my garden...  It's officially on my wish list!

No comments:

Post a Comment